Monday, May 4, 2009

The electric Tesla is jolting competitors like BMW.


We may never know who or what killed the electric car. The real question now is whether PayPal founder Elon Musk can revive it. By Jonny Lieberman

I HONESTLY WASN’T OUT TO PLAY BOY RACER in someone else’s hundred-thousand-dollar car. But what was I supposed to do when I pulled up at a stoplight next to a BMW M5, with its snarling 507 horsepower V10, in a Tesla Roadster, the all- electric sports car I had on loan from a dealership?

The race was on.

But it quickly became more like a chase as the mighty Bavarian was bested by the fleet Tesla. With my opponent far behind me, I hit the regenerative brakes, which sound strangely similar to the Millennium Falcon exiting hyperdrive.

I pulled over to give my now bloodless knuckles a rest, and so did the vanquished M5. The driver walked up, mouth agape, and exclaimed, “Wow!”

1 comment:

TMHJR said...

Dr. Speedy,
This is True! a wealthy friend of mine from NYC ha purchased a BMW M5 on my recommendation and he really like it! He then got his wife a Porsche Turbo Cayenne for her and the kids. When his M5 was only about 3 years old and less than 20,000 miles on it, he traded it in an purchased a TESLA Roadster. The M5 is 500 Hp. and does 0-60 mph in about 4.8 seconds.
the Tesla is much lighter and the fit and finish and materials are NOwhere near as nice as the BMW and the TESLA costs more, but it goes 0-60 Mph. in right about 3.9 seconds...it is whisper quiet in the engine dept. but it does get noisy with wind noise in an open air drive. I am interested in their new sedan. it is a nice looking car. I wish them luck with it. But overall, the BMW M5 is a nice piece. I was a BMW sales manager for 2 years and I have driven about 250,000 miles in a BMW. apples to apples, the Bimmer is still a great all around car....expensive to keep up after the warranty runs out, but the miles are a pleasure to pile up! xo TMH

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails